Business Communication Series
Kinds of circular letter | Features of circular letter
Circular letters are prepared for circulating business and non-business messages. Thus, it seems that circular letters can be of the following two types:
• Trade circular letter: When a circular letter is prepared and distributed for circulating any business related message, it is known as trade circular letter. Its main objective is to circulate business information like, launching new business, opening new branch or showroom, changing address of business, introducing new product, inclusion, retirement or death of partners etc.
• Non-trade circular letter: The circular letter that is prepared and distributed for circulating personal or social information is known as non-trade circular letter. The examples of non-trade issues are preaching the political ideology by a political organization, circulating personal opinion on any matter by an individual etc.
Features of circular letter
A well-drafted and persuasive circular letter should posses the following features or characteristics:
1. Wide publicity: One of the most important features of circular letter is that it makes wide publicity of information at a least possible time.
2. Method of drafting: Circular letter is very simple in nature. It is drafted in a simple language so that people of various sections can easily understand.
3. Attractiveness: Another dominate feature of circular letter is the attractive and distinctive presentation of message. In this letter, information is presented attractively so that in can convinces the readers.
4. Conciseness: A well-drafted circular letter is always concise but complete. It expresses the message using the least possible words.
5. Courtesy: Since circular letter is conveyed to external parties, it presents information courteously. Circular letter is drafted by using polite and cordial language so that it wins the readers heart.
6. Persuasiveness: Circular letter is written in a persuasive and motivational way so as to influence the reader’s decision in favor of the company.
7. Reader’s interest: Circular letter always focuses on the interest of the readers and presents trustworthy information.
8. Universality: The format, message and the wording of circular letter should be such that all concerned parties accept it.
9. Free from controversy: A business circular letter is free from political, religious, social or any other controversies.
Source Credit: The Business Communication